- The Pay as You Throw program will cost Kauai residents more for the curbside pickup based on the size of their trash can.
- The purpose of the program is to motivate citizens of Kauai to recycle more.
- Many people oppose of the bill because there is no recycling plant on the island, so they believe that the program will not work.
- Many people approve of the bill because they believe that the program will get more people to recycle and will save Kauai money in the long run.
- The Pay as you throw bill will have many consequences.
Topic: Pay as You Throw (PAYT)
Issue: The monthly price of waste removal will go up because the county is trying to motivate people to recycle more.
Angle: Average citizen curious about this new program.
Story: We will start the story of with someone explaining what the PAYT program is. The person to say this will probably a county engineer or County Council member. We will then have someone explain what the purpose of the bill was. This will be accomplished by talking to the Solid Waste Program Development Coordinator and a County Council Member. We will then talk to County Council Members and people in the community to cover points three and four. We will then talk to a county engineer and the Solid Waste Program Development Coordinator to learn about the effects that this program has and will have